Thursday, June 27, 2013

Learning through Motherhood....

Here's a little glimpse of our "crazy" week....

While the twins were supposed to be napping, Lauren decides to climb up to Lily's bunk and BITE her in the back - clearly a round circle that was already starting to bruise.  We have a biting problem.

While Landon was at music practice last night, I sat on the couch from 6:30 - 7:30 disciplining kids for fighting, whining, biting and screaming.  I decided that before I lost my sanity I should probably put them to bed early.  Distraught after a long day I sat in my bed eating M&M's while sobbing.  Thankfully Landon wasn't home for that one...he sees enough drama and tears.

I set my alarm clock this morning for 5:30 and didn't even hear it until 5:42.  Rascal Flatts sang to me for 12 minutes straight.  Thankfully I wore my "workout outfit" to bed so I could go straight to Walmart with crazy hair and no makeup.  I'm such a planner.  Yes, I'm that desperate to go to the store before Landon goes to work so I can avoid taking the kids. 

I got home just in time to watch Landon leave our room for work.  Half dressed.  And then I remembered our load of clean laundry that has been sitting in the dryer for two days.  And I smile (and cry a little bit) because I realize that I have an amazing husband that doesn't even care.  He just digs out something (now wrinkled) from the dryer and heads to work.  And then texts me later this morning and tells me I'm awesome (?!?!?). 

When I think of adding a fourth lately, I get a little overwhelmed.  Then I laugh at this line from Jim Gaffigan:

"Want to know what it's like to have a fourth?  Just imagine you are drowning, and them someone hands you a baby...."

So funny, but seriously how I feel these days.  If you need a laugh, you should click on his name...it will take you to a video clip.  

This morning, I picked up "Out of the Spin Cycle" by Jen Hatmaker and started reading one of my favorite chapters (Chapter 7, in case you have the book)

"Motherhood is like a pitcher with a whole in the bottom: a constant drain on our energy, patience, and tolerance. If nothing good is stored up, where are we possibly going to draw patience?  Grace?  Longsuffering?  young motherhood is too demanding to attempt without a deep connection to Christ."

{photo via pinterest}
As I was praying this morning, I remembered the sweet couple that lost their baby girl yesterday.  The family whose baby boy is struggling in the hospital and needs a heart transplant.  Sweet Rosalie who is still sleeping.  It really puts things into perspective for me.  Regardless of how badly my days go, I still have three sweet babies to tuck into bed, to bathe, to laugh with, and to discipline. I can wake up to three, beautiful, sweet (sometimes naughty) girls.  They need Jesus, but most of all they need to see a mommy who strives to be like Jesus.  I need to put good in, and good will flow out.  I become thankful....thankful for the great opportunity God has given me to be a mother.  Thankful for these hard times, where He teaches me that He is enough.

"But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
II Corinthians 12:9


4 comments:

  1. Tammy, you are such an encouragement! Motherhood is a teaching tool that does things that nothing else in the world can do. It’s unbelievable. I was just talking to a co-worker about that yesterday. There are areas in your (my) life that need work, but for some reason nothing causes that change to occur in us until we have children and realize that every single thing we do affects them too. We set the tone for our house. I love that God uses something as wonderful as motherhood and as amazing as our children to point us to Him. God knows exactly what we need. That book sounds amazing! Everything you said is so true. I think as moms it is important to show more than just the “good” in life. It makes us band together and know we’re not alone. So thank you for your honesty! And I just wanted to mention how much I’ve seen a change in you since we worked at camp together. (Not that there was anything “wrong” with you at camp, but I think you know what I mean). You’ve become such an example of a godly wife/mother and I’m thrilled to be able to have “seen” it (through social media, ha!). I will be praying for you! Thanks for your encouragement today!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cindy! I'm so thankful for the things that God teaches us through trials, marriage and motherhood! :) I love keeping up with you via social media too - I'm thankful for where God has led both of us as Mother's! Thank you for the sweet encouragement! :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing a beautiful article! It's always a wonderful feeling to read stories of other moms out there. Your words gave me inspiration. I was very moved by your story. I definitely have learned a lot from being a Mom--things that I never could have learned if it wasn't for this. Always make God the center of the family and all of the good things will surely follow. May God bless you and your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet for reading it! :) I am thankful it was an encouragement to you - that is always my hope! Thank you for the encouraging words! :)

      Delete