Wednesday, June 5, 2013

What Really Matters


{image via pinterest}
I've been thinking a lot the last couple weeks about what REALLY matters.  It's so easy to get caught up in the things of the world.  It is so easy as a woman to get caught up in Pinterest, Blogs, Facebook and Instagram.  Whether we realize it or not, these amazing technologies can have a negative effect on our thinking and our hearts.  For me, I begin to compare myself to others, feel inadequate, question myself as a mother, and feel like I need to be doing "more".  The last couple weeks the sermons at church have really had an impact on changing the way I think about these things.  

I wrote a little bit about the sermon on prayer a couple weeks ago.  I decided that instead of checking my phone first thing in the morning for emails, facebook, instagram notifications....I would go to my closet every morning and start my day with prayer.  It's amazing how it has already transformed my thought life and my relationships.  

This week the pastor spoke on the church of Laodicea and their lukewarmness.  With all the tornados that have occurred in our area, He brought up such an important question.  If I lost everything, would I still have everything?  How many things do I have that don't matter?  Where is my identity found?  My identity in Christ can never be taken away from me.  It's amazing how I can get caught up in the things of this world.  Why does it matter how many friends I have?  MY dreams?  How amazing my house looks?  How many people follow me on _____?   These are tough questions to answer, as they have held a huge importance in my life.  These are all good things, but as I answer them I feel silly and selfish when I realize the importance they hold in my life.

A few questions the pastor asked at the end of his sermon on being lukewarm.  

Do you spend more time thinking about making money and managing it, than how you can be a blessing to others?

When I struggle, or am tempted, do I want to face it alone?  Do I allow others to come beside me, do I search the word for counsel?  Do I gather people around me who will tell me what Christ says, not what the world says?



When I have small sins that linger in my soul, do I find myself with the desire to repent of them, or do I find myself excusing them away?


When I look at what really matters, I realize how rich I am.  I have Christ.  He has forgiven me and continues to forgive me.  I have an amazing family that God has given me.  I have friends that point me to truth and encourage me spiritually.  He has given me enough...maybe not everything I want, but most definitely everything I need.  

"Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline.  So be earnest and repent.  Here I am!  I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me. "
Revelation 3:20












No comments:

Post a Comment